A fun and interactive introduction to both the Python programming language and basic computing concepts using programmable robots.
This free short taster course provides a fun and interactive introduction to both the Python programming language and basic computing concepts through the coding of programmable robots. It is designed for complete beginners who are interested in learning Python (or indeed any programming language) in order to embark upon a career in technology, but first wish to explore Python in a fun and engaging manner.
- No coding experience required.
- Desktop or laptop computer (Windows, Mac, Linux or Chrome OS).
- Internet browser (Google Chrome is recommended) and a stable internet connection.
- A Google account (free).
- BBC Micro:bit V2 (circa £15) and a USB micro-B compatible data transfer USB cable (circa £2.50).
- Elecfreaks Ring:bit Car V2 (circa £22, requires 3 x AAA 1.5V Alkaline batteries which are NOT included).
- Elecfreaks Ring:bit Car V2 Accessories Kit (circa £16).
- The ability to develop simple software applications in Python 3.
- An understanding of basic computing concepts including basic data types, control flow and functions.
- The ability to code and instruct a programmable robot to follow simple and advanced instructions including moving forwards and reversing, following black lines and routes, moving towards bright light sources, and automatically detecting and avoiding obstacles.
- An awareness of some of the roles and career pathways available in order to embark upon a career in technology, data and artificial intelligence, including typical salary ranges, benefits and entry requirements.